Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Matrix Resurrections (2021) Movie Review

“It is so much simpler to bury reality than it is to dispose of dreams.”

   When it was announced that there was going to be another Matrix sequel I was on the fence. I didn’t want just another conventional sequel that followed Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, and the rest of the crew. Then the trailer was released and then I became excited. It took some of the elements from the trilogy taking the concept we all know and breathing new life into it.

   To me I’ve always viewed the Matrix trilogy as a love story of Neo and Trinity. At its core it’s a love story. Of course, I loved the deep messages, the action, philosophy, special effects, and so on. The thing that always makes me revisit it so often is the love story. Love is the key to all the choices they make. I liked the idea that Neo and Trinity together equal the one. There is no Neo without Trinity. There is no Trinity without Neo. It’s nice to see they finally got the life they wanted.

    I quite like the idea that the design is a much more resourceful system where the Matrix isn’t a paradise or hell, but somehow in the middle. A system where people want to achieve something that’s almost within reach, but can never get it. It appears so close that they never give up trying, but in the end that was the purpose of the design. I find that a good commentary on our modern society where we are trapped unhappily, but nevertheless can’t see the alternative out. That’s why I liked Neil Patrick Harris as the Analyst. The Architect was an unfeeling software, but the Analyst was a social media algorithm that thrives on influencing people’s feelings and provoking engagement from negativity.



   Much like art, everyone will have a different takeaway from the film. To some it’s about politics, finding their sexuality, coping with middle age, and it’s all right to each person interpreting it. To me Lana Wachowski was trying to say that many people need to be encouraged to put themselves out there more and enjoy reality. People have convinced themselves that they have taken the red pill and they are in reality. The question is what is real? If someone puts all their life into a fantasy that fantasy becomes a reality to them. Escapism in moderation is fine, but for many people they use escapism way too much that it becomes reality to them. We need to do something new. Challenge ourselves to wake up and overcome the weight and complacency. Discover new things the world has to offer. Free your mind if you will. Of course, there will be endless interpretations of the film. 

    I truly enjoyed this film. I remember people hating the sequels Reloaded and Revolutions along with the Star Wars prequels, but are now loved by a majority now. In time, I believe, people will love this film. People have it in their minds what the sequel should be like and when it’s not how they imagined it they become mad or disappointed by it. When I first posted my rating, I received so many hateful comments on how I could enjoy a film like this. The internet is fueled by anger. So people who didn’t like it will let you know and boy did they let me know. You know who you are. It’s like they are looking for validation and to vent, but I simply don’t have to argue anything with you. I’ll just tell you I liked it because I did and I have a right to my own opinion just like you. It’s the reason why I waited so long to post this review.

    I can acknowledge that the action is lacking, but that’s because Yuen Woo-Ping didn’t return to choreograph the action sequences. Visually the film was very pleasing on the eyes. A nice change from the first three films. The acting was good. The new Agent Smith was fun as well as some of the new characters like Bugs. All-in-all I loved it.

4.9 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment