Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Batman (2022) Movie Review

    I’ve been thinking about this film for a while now. I had to gather my thoughts before I wrote a review. I’ve been waiting for a Detective Batman film since I began reading the comics way way back. They’re either too campy or didn’t really feel like Batman to me. I loved the Dark Knight trilogy, but it wasn’t for Christian Bale. It was for the villains. Yes the Dark Knight is a masterpiece and so is Dark Knight Rises, but once again Joker and Bane stole the show for me. When I first saw the trailer to the film I was simply blown away. Was this the Batman I was waiting for? Robert Pattinson has been killing it lately with “The Lighthouse”, “Lost City of Z”, “Tenet”, and “Good Time” So he’s done enough to prove he’s no longer that Twilight actor, but would he be a great Batman. The answer is yes. HE IS BATMAN.



  The film opens on Halloween night playing the Nirvana’s song “Something in the Way” along with Batman’s narration. “We have a signal now for when I’m needed. When that light hits the sky. It’s just not a call. It’s a warning… to them. Fear is a tool. They think I’m hiding in the shadows. Watching. Waiting to strike, but I am the shadows.” I personally loved that. The BATMAN is cinema at it’s purest form. It’s dark, it’s gritty, and a beautiful psychological thriller film noir. It’s a refreshing outlook on Batman to be sure. It takes inspiration from many of the stories of Batman especially “The Long Halloween” (one of my personal favorite Batman stories). 
   First, I want to focus on the score. My god the score was beautiful! It was so heavenly to hear. The score has been on repeat since I saw the Fan Event. Michael Giacchino outdid himself. Second is Gotham City. Finally, we get the Gotham City we deserved. It’s either, once again, too campy or just doesn’t feel like Gotham to me. It’s more realized than ever before.  Cinematographer Greg Fraser and director Matt Reeves gave it a distinct Gothic look. Now onto the amazing cast of characters. Pattinson is my all-time favorite Batman. He’s Batman come to life. He is the near reflection of Gotham confined by an endless night. There’s hardly any Bruce Wayne screen time it’s mainly 90% of Batman, which is what I always wanted. He is livid, emotional, brooding, and in search of his identity during his early years as Batman. The film explores him in search of his identity and I believe it achieves this perfectly with the psychological exploration.  Paul Dano, every film’s secret weapon. The Riddler is like a mix of his characters from Prisoners and There Will Be Blood. Definitely better than Jim Carrey’s outrageous portrayal of the character. Dano’s version is more terrifying and he is a complete psychopath. I liked his monologue to Batman near the end of the film about orphans and how the society views people.  Collin Farrell is nearly unrecognizable as the Penguin. His role is small, but he steals many scenes. Can’t wait for his HBOMax spinoff series. Jeffrey Wright is amazing, per usual, wirth his role of Gordon. Zoe Kravitz was a good Catwoman. She’s no Julie Newmar or Eartha Kitt, though  but nevertheless a good Catwoman. Her motivations for what she does is much better than the last 3 film portrayals of her character. I loved Matt Reeves direction with this film. I can’t praise it enough.
   Now onto my complaints. Andy Serkis is a phenomenal actor there’s no denying that. He makes for a great Alfred in theory, but he was terribly underused and his presence isn’t as strong as it should have been. I personally loved how the Riddler was like the Zodiac killer, but those weird creepy hostage videos involving him were too much like the Joker in Dark Knight. Especially when his voice suddenly went deep like the Jokers. Then one of the last riddles near the end of the film I was like the Riddler wouldn’t be that clumsy with a riddle. Other than that the film is on the brink of near perfection. It may have my favorite Batman, but it’s not my favorite Batman film that goes to Dark Knight Rises, which I will always have fond memories of. 
 
 It’s a Batman film that is heavily character driven and you can feel that it was made with love and care. It was Se7en and Saw mixed with the Zodiac film disguising itself as a Superhero film. It’s unique and has a fresh take on the caped crusader. It’s nearly 3 hours long, but never once losing it’s pace. Although it did drag on one scene. With that being said, it definitely deserves to be seen in the cinema. I can’t wait to see the direction Matt Reeves takes on the trilogy. Maybe we will see the Court of Owls, maybe Mr. Freeze, or maybe even HUSH. Nevertheless, I’m excited to see what the future holds for my Batman.


4.8 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment