Sunday, October 4, 2020

Haunt (2019) Review

“Do you still want to see my face? Because before you said you wanted to see my face. I was just wondering if you still wanted to see it. It’s a bit of a work in progress, but oh I’ll think you’ll like it.”

   ‘Haunt’ is the perfect watch for this Halloween season. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I first watched it. It takes places at an extreme haunted house attraction, but unlike the previous film I reviewed. It’s not actually haunted, but it does have a group of crazed masked killers. 

   

   Sure this kind of film has been done before, but it’s not as fun as ‘Haunt’. The film doesn’t try to explain itself. Why should it? Its just some college students going to a random haunted house attraction. They just want to be scared. They have to sign liability waivers and surrender their cell phones. I’ve signed many liability waivers for extreme haunted houses, but never had to surrender my cell phone, which I wouldn’t. I’ve seen too many horror films to know that’s just a bad idea. They go through various traps and puzzles before realizing that something is wrong. 


   The masked characters are what make the film for me. There’s a clown, a witch, a vampire, a devil, a zombie, and a ghost named Mitch. Mitch is the most untrustworthy character in the film who offers the group that he can help them out of the attraction. He definitely brought a lot more tension to ‘Haunt’. The best part of the film is when the killers started removing their masks to show their true faces. They looked scarier with the masks off.


   The acting is good, the set up was great, the attraction itself was fun to watch, and it had just the right amount of gore. The suspense is great. It had my attention throughout. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting the film to be as good as it was. I don’t know why it’s getting so much hate. ‘Haunt’ is the proper way to make a slasher film in my opinion. Check it out.



4.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment