Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) Review


“No, of course you don't forget. How could you? You never looked into his face, did you? You never saw his eyes. You never saw that- that nothing, no expression, blank. My memory goes back twelve years to the night I offered... I'm gonna show you- show you something. Look. Look at this! Look at that! I prayed that he would burn in Hell, but in my heart I knew that Hell would not have him.”

   Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers had the lowest box office out of the Halloween franchise. It only made eleven million at the box office. Other than the Rob Zombie Halloween films, this is regarded as the worst Halloween film. While I don’t think it’s the best that goes to Season of the Witch and it’s not the worst in my opinion that would go to either Resurrection or Zombie’s Halloween II. The film has its pros and cons.


   So there’s no surprise that Michael Myers didn’t die at the end of ‘Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers’. Even though he was shot multiple times, fell down a shaft, and had dynamite thrown on him to finish him off. You just can’t kill the man. He escapes and is rescued by an old hermit. Why he saves him after Michael tried to strangle him is beyond me. He wakes up after a year of being in a coma just in time for Halloween.  Myers then does what he does best… kill. 


   I have two big complaints about this entry of the Halloween series. The first is that the killed off Rachel. Rachel was the final girl in IV. Rachel is one of my favorite final girls because of how badass she was. They kill her off as if she’s nothing, but a cameo. It annoyed the hell out of me. What was worse was that they replaced her with Tina who is the most annoying character ever to be in a horror film other than any Tyra Banks role.



    The second complaint is that they essentially just ignore that great shock ending at the end of IV. It suggested that Jamie would become a killer like her uncle. She didn’t even kill her mother like it suggested at the end of the film. Her mother was simply wounded. Now they just make her mute and give her a weird psychic connection with Michael. It’s never really explained why. I never liked that idea of the psychic connection and it simply doesn’t make sense. 



   I don’t know why I liked this film when I was younger. I mean I still like the film to a degree, but it’s low on my Halloween list. It’s still above Resurrection though. I’ll give it to the film it was more grittier with its death, but its run mediocre formula left me wanting more. Revenge of Michael Myers just felt like it was a rushed cash grab. Most of the performances are average at best with the exception of Danielle Harris. Donald Pleasance plays a more mentally unstable Dr. Loomis. 



    The movie makes no sense and just tarnished the set up IV had in store for us. It would have been better if Jamie did in fact have the evil inside her. As my friend Patrick AKA Patricia AKA Ruby Rhod said about this film, “They went full on Bane on them. Crashing this movie with no survivors.” It doesn’t even feel like Carpenter’s original. I loved it when H2O reset the Hallowverse back to after Halloween II, but you’d still have to sit through Halloween VI: Curse of Michael Myers before that happens. Then Halloween 2018 reset the Hallowverse once again, erasing even the second Halloween film. It’s more confusing than the MCU and DCEU timeline. 


2.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment