Friday, July 7, 2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) Review

“You need to understand, I will do anything to protect my family. I know you know what I'm talking about.”

   I remember back in 2002 I was overly excited that I got a seat at the sold out midnight showing of Spider-Man. I was blown away and happy that Spider-Man was finally on the big screen. Then two years later I was even more blown away by the sequel and I will always consider it the dark knight of the Marvel films. After Spider-Man 2 the later films just became bleh. Then Spider-man showed up in Civil War and the Spidey craze resurfaced. Afterwards they announced Spiderman: Homecoming. I was hesitant, but excited. Now Spiderman: Homecoming isn’t bad, but it isn’t fantastic either in my opinion.
   I’ll start with the good. Michael Keaton as Toomes AKA the Vulture was the best part of the film. He was a salvage operator trying to make money off cleaning the alien debris from the alien invasion that occurred in “The Avengers”. He’s the little guy trying to keep a roof over his family’s heads. A guy we can root for, but he’s tossed aside by none other than Tony Stark who created the Department of Damage Control. Toomes is a man that doesn’t have any other options left. He’s deep in debt because he put tons of money in this job that he no longer has.  So in a way society forced him into a life of crime and he will do everything he can to provide for his family. So I don’t think he’s a forgettable villain like most of Marvel’s villains. The Vulture is a well thought out character and his motivations are interesting. The other good thing about the film is the final fight between Vulture and Peter, but I noticed there wasn’t really a lot of hand-to-hand combat between the two.
  Now onto the bad bits. Spider-Man at times doesn’t feel like Spider-Man. The character felt downgraded to an Iron Man wannabe. Peter spent most of the film sucking up to Stark and Happy. Peter just seemed too needy and childish. Iron Man’s tech even dominates the film, I don’t really like the idea of a Jarvis type of Spider-man suit. I was also expecting some “Spidey-sense” to happen because I mean come on it’s a Spider-Man film. So he has no Spidey-sense because well now he has Karen to do everything for him.
  Then there are the minor characters. This is where I will say… “What the hell man?! That’s not Flash Thompson. That’s some wimp that simply says a few cruel things!” Lots of the audience walking out laughed about Tony Revolori playing Flash. Flash is supposed to be a bully and him repeatedly saying “Penis Parker” isn’t really intimidating. Don’t get me started Zendaya’s character. Some of the acting is horrendous and at times I thought I was watching a B movie version of a John Hughes film.
   I wanted to love this film like I did Raimi’s first two Spider-Man films and I’m surprised people say this version is better than Spider-Man 2 since that film had everything you look for in a superhero film. Spider-Man: Homecoming doesn’t even come close to Spider-Man 2. It’s full of forced jokes, bad dialogue, decent acting, and way too much Stark tech. Just feels like Marvel Studios sees Spider-Man as a replacement for Iron Man since Robert Downey Jr. can’t stay Iron Man forever. All-in-all the film is decent.
3.9 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment