Thursday, October 20, 2016

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) Review

“I have always loved you. I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you. Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit.”
   My friend’s father once told me that if you don’t have some form of a religious experience during a martial arts film, it’s not a true martial arts film. That was the most honest thing I ever heard from the man. Many martial arts film have provided me with such an experience such as: A Touch of Zen, 7 Samurai, Harakiri, Curse of the Golden Flower, IP Man, Enter the Dragon, and then there’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Not only did I have such an experience, but I was in complete awe for many weeks even after watching the film. The film is pure cinematic art. I felt like I was in a painting with all the vibrant colors. The action is like you’re watching a ballet. Every movement they make is mesmerizing. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon falls under the Wuxia genre that is Chinese fiction that deals with chivalry, martial arts, and sometimes sorcery. I read a lot of Wuxia novels as a child like the Book and the Sword, The Smiling Proud Wanderer, Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain, and basically anything written by Jin Yong. My imagination always took flight when reading them. So I was thrilled when I heard Ang Lee was directing a Wuxia film. I was not disappointed because he truly captured what I had imagined reading those novels. 
    Chow Yun Fat truly shines in this film. He brings such a spellbinding screen presence in his portrayal of the regal Master Li Mu Bai. He delivers his unspoken feelings beautifully towards Yu Shu Lien (Yeoh) that I believe no one else could have done. Master Li Mu Bai is tired of fighting; he simply wants there to be peace and hopes that one day to spend his life with the woman he loves, but keeps a distance from. Things get complicated when Jen steals the sword Green Destiny. Jen’s master is the evil Jade Fox who killed Li Mu Bai’s master. He is then burdened with the obligation to avenge his master’s death.
    The fight scenes are astonishing and each one is different. Each fight sequence was choreographed beautifully. Their movements were so gracious and the combat so sophisticated. The fight scenes are quite the visual delight. My favorite scene has to be the bamboo forest fight sequence. Everything about that scene is so elegant and tranquil. The scene could be interpreted as serenity. While the trees move back and forth the master stands still even when Jen presses the bamboo hard.
  Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon deals with love, longing, passion, revenge, and expresses it such a deep meaningful way. It’s more than just a martial arts film it has a moving beauty and poetic grace about it. The film transports the viewer to ancient temples, bamboo forests, and the vastness of the desert. The fight scenes are a visual treat and the acting is phenomenal. Ang Lee did a wonderful job on this film
5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment